Thursday, September 8, 2011

Italian Culture

Today is the third official day of school here in Italy for me. I am finding that I am enjoying my time here, because I am enjoying some of the differences of culture here in Italy.  Having only spent less than a week here, I can already see a more simpler approach to life as a whole (not feeling the need to strive to be the greatest thing; or even feeling that your life has to be go go go all of the time), but rather living a simple life that is filled with family, friends, and happiness.

Our apartment is a pretty nice place, we are in a great location right in the heart of downtown, and we have a good bit of room! Because of this we have had friends over a couple times for dinner or drinks and good conversation.  Last night we had some friends over, and I found myself talking to one girl for almost an hour about the amazing differences between the approaches to life here in Italy and back in America. It was amazing conversation, because in such a short time we can see the obvious differences and the beauty in a simpler and more satisfied life.

Italian Culture (as I have seen it so far) is beautifully simple: the people seem to be content with spending their evenings with friends at a local cafe rather than spending their time worrying about whether or not the have the best of everything, or the newest and greatest.  After spending my whole life being caught up in the hustle and bustle of the way Americans spend their time, I am finding it refreshing to relax (relatively speaking) and stop to enjoy the things around you. This has not been something I have ever been very good at; in fact it has come in between me and relationships I have had with friends in the past. 

I am excited to see if this is just a short observation of a culture, or if it is a way of life that Italians cherish, rather than the desires of wealth and success like Americans often do!

I will keep you all updated as things on this journey change.

Ciao,

Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment