Friday, February 10, 2012

Aperitivo

Something that is a cultural norm here in Italy, and something that I haven't talked about yet on my blog is aperitivo. Aperitivo is something that you can go out to on any night of the week. I personally like to go to aperitivo on Sunday nights because after not doing anything all Sunday it gives you a good chance to get out, see your friends, and have fun. The premice behind apertivo is that you go to a restuarant, bar and order one drink of anything you would like; mixed drink, glass of wine, beer, or coca-cola if you are lame. At the same time there is also a buffet of small Italian (or American) appetizers out for dinner. After you get your drink you are allowed to go and eat as much of the buffet food as you would like (this turns into your dinner). Therefore you end up having dinner and a drink WITH FRIENDS for just around 8 euros.

When Dmitrij came into town Sage and I took out not only Dmitrij but also all of our roommates to their first apertivo experience. Although I have been to many apertivos since I have been here, that night in particular was a lot of fun for me.

Aperitivo with the boys from Via Mazzini, the girls from Via Nizza, and Dmitrij!

In the past week I have recognized a few things about this semester that I either didn't recognize last semester or didn't have to deal with last semester. Last semester one of my best friends, Matt, was here with me, but beyond that, I formed friendships with many of the people here; Matt and I would go out and hang with different people almost every night. However this semester I have spent most of my time with my roommates and just a few other people. Is this a bad thing? I would say no. In these three weeks I have built solid friendships that are stronger than friendships I formed in all of last semester. At the same time, I recognize that it can be a bad thing if I allow those people to rule the things that I do in my free time. I am only here for another 4 months. Yes, this has easily been the best trip of my life, but that has been because I have done what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it, and not allowed others to tailor the things I do for me.

I am not saying that adjustment is a bad thing or even having a smaller group of friends with much stronger friendships than lots of acquaintances, but what I am saying is that staying true to who you are and the things you want to do is absolutely key. If I am honest with myself, I have changed a lot while I have been here in Italy, and I am sure there is more change coming in these final few months. However, what I do know hasn't changed, and never will change, is the fact that I am here to experience the things that I want to experience, and do the things that I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment