Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Weekend (and some) with Dmitrij

For the last couple of days my sister's boyfriend Dmitrij has been visiting me here in Italy. As I wrote before, he brought with him the greatest care package ever, but also it was just nice to have someone from home here with me even for a short period of time. Last semester I was here with Matt and for that reason I didn't get very homesick. However, this semester I am somewhat on my own. Yes my new roommates are AWESOME, and we have met some really cool people that we hang out with (shout out to the girls on Nizza), but it has been different than last semester. Ironically, I think that this semester may actually end up being better for me because it is forcing me to create relationships.

The best pasta restaurant in Torino - Pasta e Basta
With that being said, it was great to be able to spend some time showing him around Torino and giving him a glance into what my life here in Italy has looked like for the past 5 months. Because we only had 3 days here in Torino, and one day in Genoa, I took him to only the greatest places in Torino for each meal. My lovely parents sent him with some food money, so we were able to eat some things besides just kebab! Of course we had kebab too, but not eating completely like a college kid the whole time was a nice change of pace!

We also went out one night, had dinner at an Italian friends house, took a few fire absinthes shots, and way too much fun. I am positive that will be the first and last time that he ever takes one of those! (photos not coming soon!)

Spacconapoli for our neighborhood pizza followed by a cafe at Caffe Tiberio
Bella E'Poque Kebab (the best kebab EVER!
We also took a day trip to Genoa. It was very nice for me because although I had been to Genoa before (when we went to the Cinque Terre) I had not spent a whole day there and seen the things that I wanted to see. We justified eating focaccia four different time, Sicilian oranges, three cafes, and a huge dinner of gnocci and pesto, Italian sausages, salad, and dessert.


























The only downside to this trip, besides the short length, was that I wasn't able to introduce Dmitrij to gelatos. I showed him true Italian style pasta, pizza, beer, wine, focaccia, gnocci, oranges, and all things wonderful, but wasn't able to show him gelatos. However, we decided that because that was not possible this time, that there is only one solution; he must come back!! I really enjoyed having him here, and would welcome him back whenever he feels like checking out Italy again... or maybe Greece for spring break (cough cough).

No comments:

Post a Comment