Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Hard Decisions That Come With Studying Abroad

In the past couple of days everyone is getting situated here in Torino. This means that more people are going out consistently, everyone is starting to plan trips, and of course people are having to make VERY VERY tough decisions.

Having been here since September I can be sure that this isn't just a first week fascination, but rather consistently hard decisions that shape your study abroad experiences! These are what I would call "study abroad problems". Ironically I don't think my parents or anyone not studying abroad would think of any of these as problems, but here are a list of some of those really tough decisions that we have to face in the last couple of days;

     1. For that 4 day weekend in March should I go to London or Paris? Or maybe I will visit London and Dublin for spring break and Paris for Easter, so what about Rome?

     2. "Tonight for dinner I think I will have pasta, pizza, dessert, and then a kebab after! Or does that make me sound fat??" Thank you Joe!!!

     3. Tonight are we going to Lapsus or Rotonda? And where are you all going before for dinner?

     4. This weekend do you want to go to Milan and go to the Milan soccer game?

     5. We want to go watch The Bachelor tonight, but we have a test tomorrow morning... (we watched The Bachelor!)

     6. Do I get the OK with my parents before planning this trip to Prague for Marcus's birthday or book it now so it doesn't get more expensive?

The difficulty in these questions and other questions similar to these questions is that we only have a limited time here and we want to do as much as possible. I have recognized that sleep is optional here in Italy, and embraced it as much as I can (rather we sleep 4-5 hours a night and stay up socializing like Italians until 4am)! In fact I was talking with the girls that come over and watch The Bachelor with us today about this and they stated that having been here for 14 days and gone out (mostly with us) for 9 of the 14 evenings! We are going out again tonight to a club called Rotonda and we are going to dance to my single favorite song right now, leave the club around 3am, get a kebab, go to bed around 4, only to wake up at 8 to make it to class at 9 and do it again tomorrow!!;


AND YES!!!! I AM WEARING WHITE PANTS TONIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment