Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My New Roommates and A Day At Superga

As this semester (my second here in Italy) is just getting started, I recently returned to Torino from traveling. I had the privilege to be invited to the welcome dinner with the new students as well as a few other of the year-long students the first night that everyone was here in Torino. I am excited to say that this group of students seems to be a great group; over the last few days (our first few days here) I have been able to hang out with a number of these students, and am looking forward to getting to know them better.

Also, my new roommates have moved in to our apartment. Although last semester I lived with one of my best friends, Matt, and also one of the coolest guy I have met here in Italy, Gabe, I am very pleased with my new roommates.

This is my roommate roommate Joe (and his gf)
This is Joe. He is from California, and is rooming with me in our apartment. Although I have only known him for a few days, he seems like a really cool guy who will make a great roommate. Ironically, Joe will be the first random guy that I have ever roomed with. Before coming here to Italy, I had always lived with my parents, and when I got here I lived with Matt (He went on vacation with me so he definitely doesn't count as a random person).

This is Marcus
This is Marcus. He is also from California. Sadly for him, this is the only photo I could find of him without a bunch of friends or a girl, so this is what he gets. From what I can know so far he has great taste in music and seems to be a down to earth guy.

After the guys moved in to the apartment I took them for a decent tour of the city. We saw all of the main locations in downtown, we went to a few open markets here, went to Parco Valentino, and even headed down midtown for a while. It was cool for me to recognize that my worst nightmare with new roommates was not true, but rather I had gotten lucky AGAIN with awesome roommates; I had always worried that because of my personality I would be set up with two Bros from somewhere who only wanted to get drunk and try and pick up girls 24/7, and I am relieved to now know that these guys are here, but not for that.

The next day (Sunday) we decided to take a trip up to Superga. Superga is a Basilica on the top of this hill and overlooks all of Torino. Ironically after living here for 4 months, I still had never been to Superga, so it was exciting for me as well. Unfortunately it was potentially the single foggiest day so far here in Torino, and by the time we got to the top is was almost impossible to see Torino, but we made it work and had some fun at the same time.

































I am excited to see what this semester brings me. The other students here seem to be a good group of kids, the classes I am taking are good, my Italian is getting better by the day, and the one thing that helps tie it all together is living with 3 guys that are good, fun people.

No comments:

Post a Comment