Saturday, January 7, 2012

This Is The Worst Day Of My Life!

Today because of the bad weathers on the sea we were unable to go to Capri, so instead we went to Pompeii. While we were walking around the city and enjoying how well preserved the city was and some of the awesome frescoes, we were having a few very deep discussions about some philosophical situations of right and wrong, and the choices that we would make in certain situations. One hypothetical situation led to another, and we started talking about situations that would qualify as being "the worst day of your life" situations. We were talking about this because often times (whether using it to make a dramatic example or not) Americans tend to be very bad about using this phrase more than it is needed, and definitely more than it is justified. Ironically right as this conversation came about we came across these inside of Pompei;

A human who was instantly petrified from the lava
A genuine "worst day ever" face
It was somewhat fitting. As Luke and I looked at the two human figures that were there, we couldn't help but think about the phrase that we were discussing "this is the worst day of my life" and what truly would qualify to be entered into that category. I find that Americans (maybe people in general, but I know that Americans do) use this phrase very often. HOWEVER, after spending 3 hours at the top of Mount Vesuvius and another 5 inside of the city in Pompeii, I have come to my own conclusion on what would qualify for "the worst day of my life".

What Pompeii looked like as Vesuvius erupted.
THIS WOULD QUALIFY AS THE WORST DAY OF YOUR LIFE, AND IF 
NOT I WANT TO HEAR WHAT WOULD!! 

PS - this is the ONLY situation that in my opinion qualifies for the reaction in this next video.


I mainly put that video in because it is one of my favorites on Youtube and I happened to come across it today, plus it works, so UNLESS you about to die from molten hot lava then there is no more crying like this ;-).

When Luke, Lucie, and I where at the top of Mount Vesuvius today, I kept telling them that if this thing was going to blow while we were up there then our best bet was to actually jump into the heart of the volcano and at least there we could really experience it. There would be no way to out run it, but rather, just enough time to embrace it. Here are a couple photos from the top of the mountain looking at the crater, looking out over the sea and Pompeii, and also of the three of us just checking it out.

Luke and I at the top of Mount Vesuvius.
The crater I was headed for if things started to rumble!
The three of us... and no, we aren't in Kansas anymore.
Me looking out over the sea by Pompeii
Awesome reflection of Capri in Lucie's sunglasses
The time we spent inside the city itself was one of my favorite things that I have done since I have been here in Italy. Being able to walk down the roads that were used 2500 years ago, see frescoes that were still intact and containing amazing details was absolutely awesome. Having now been to Rome, Agrigento, Paestum, and many museums that all contain ancient Greek and Roman civilizations and artifacts, I must say that this was my single favorite. The sheer size of the city of Pompeii was incredible, as well as the details that were still visible; because it was buried by the lava it was not ransacked by invaders later on in history, but rather preserved perfectly. It really felt like you were walking through the civilization of the ancient Greeks and Romans (two of my favorite ancient civilizations). As Rick Steves would say "as you enter the city limits trade in your t-shirt and shorts for a toga!". Here are some other photos of the city of Pompeii, and the three of us having some fun as well!!;

Roman Forum
Forum Columns

Luke hiding / preparing from the volcano eruption
Theater
Super awesome fresco
Hiding from the volcano behind this pillar
Thank you Rick Steves!!!
One of my favorite frescoes of the day

 I think that I appreciated the visit today more because of all of the studying of Pompeii that I did during my time in Mrs. Davidson's Latin classes in high school. I always enjoyed talking to her about Italy, the places she had been, the things she had seen, and most of all, the experiences she had had. The one that I was looking forward to experiencing myself was her description of Pompeii the first time you go! It was something like this;


After having seen it now, I can confirm this emotion. I felt like I walked around most of the day with my mouth like this. I have seen temples and visited ancient Roman and Greek ruins, but there has been nothing that I have seen that seems so close to reality as Pompeii. Out of all of the things I have done one this trip so far with Luke and Lucie I am confident in saying that it is my favorite so far, and is definitely up there for my experiences here in Europe.

Tomorrow we are going to try our luck one more time with Capri and hope that the weather allows us to go and visit, however if not we will head down the Amalfi Coast for the day, and then we are on our way to Florence for my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment