Friday, January 6, 2012

Torsos, Heads, and Pots... Lots and Lots of Pots!

The last couple of days we have spent almost all of our time in some of the greatest museums in the world. We went to the Vatican Museum and the Capitoline Museum in Rome, as well as the Archeological Museum in Naples, and the Museum in Paestum. We have seen lots of torsos (without heads), heads (without torsos), and LOTS of pots! LOTS OF POTS!!

I am not complaining about this, on the contrary; I really enjoy it, but today while in the Archeological Museum and the Museum in Paestum, Luke and I stopped to think about how many ancient artifacts we have seen in the last couple of days. The truth is that it is a large number. At the end of these two weeks I am going to make a blog post with all of the famous art pieces that I have been able to see (I would like to contain it into one post; so that the people who enjoy this as much as I do can see it all, but also for the people who don't... well it won't clutter my blog!) Some of this includes the Dying Gaul, Doryphoros, Achilles and Ajax Playing Dice, Alexander Mosaic, the Tomb of the Diver, the Sistine Chapel, and many more.

Although the normal reaction when coming abroad as a young American might be to go out and get absolutely drunk almost every night (we may have done this for New Years... check out that story here), but rather have gotten up early almost every day and seen some really cool things. It has been awesome traveling with Luke and Lucie, especially since Luke shares my passion for the ancient civilizations. It is somewhat nice to be able to replace some of those friends that I made in my first 4 months here with long time friends that I am comfortable with.

I have enjoyed going to all of these museums, but the truth is that eventually every bust starts to look like the last, every torso missing the arms, legs, and head, start to resemble one another, and DEFINITELY every pot starts to look like the other.

Some of our Museum photos of Torsos, Heads, and Pots;

One of the many heads
A torso of a soldier



Luke and a pot he did a paper on
Belvedere Torso
Luke at Christmas
Me hating Christmas
Rooms and rooms of heads
Luke and I playing dice with Achilles and Ajax

Tomorrow we are going to take a break from the museums and archeological adventures, and go to the island of Capri. I think Lucie is secretly very excited for this; her level of excitement for marble statues has been inversely related to the number of museums we have visited. More and more they are all starting to look the same (even to Luke and I).

However Saturday we are going to be back at it one more time before heading up to Florence for my birthday and make a last trip to Pompei! I am personally very excited for this one because of the things I learned in Mrs. Davidson's Latin class about.

I will keep you all updated on my travels, and once back in Torino I will do my best to update my photos, and catch up my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment