Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dear USAC Torino Fall Semester Students,

I want to start off by saying this is a letter to all of the students that I studied with here in Torino this semester, and just play the music and keep reading (it really sets the mood just right!).


Dear USAC Torino Fall Semester Students,

As I am sitting in my apartment alone and a tad bit lonely right now as you are all on your ways home (I am actually burning Gabe's candle, listening to Matt's music, eating the peanut butter that Jill, Chelsey, and Haleigh gave me, and wearing my Lulu Lemon headband from Kelly) I am writing this as a final way to say a few things to you all. I  hope that you are all having safe travels and enjoy yourselves being back together with your family for Christmas and new years. I hope that none of you got stuck sitting next to the guy who not only slobbers and snores when he sleeps but is the guy that does it for the entire 15 hour flight. OR my personal favorite, sitting next to the lady with the 7 month old baby who has an ear infection or something and cries the whole flight!


I want to start off by saying thank you for being apart of the best four months of my life to date (we will see how cool the next group is.... they have A LOT of catching up to do!!). Although most of you left last night, I was lucky to have another half day with Matt today, and while we were just relaxing, eating kebabs one last time, and just enjoying our last couple of hours we had together we skyped for a little bit with my dad. It was a cool way of saying goodbye, but the funny part was that at one moment my dad asked Matt what his "favorite memory was". Ironically neither Matt or I could answer this question, and proceeded to just start listing off everything we did here, because the truth is that this whole four month period has been filled with unique and special memories that I will carry with me forever!

I would agree that people make experiences special, but I think that it is the people's personalities that make you want to stay in those special experiences as long as you can.

I chose this song because I have spent a lot of time with you all, and i feel as though I have tried to be an open book that you are all welcome to read. I hope all of you feel as privileged to have met me as I am to have met you. I would like to think that I am a nice, caring, fun, incredibly dashing guy, but that isn't always the case. Although sometimes we had our differences, I will always be there for you if you needed anything. I try and make myself available to all at all times (sometimes why I accidentally double book myself), but it doesn't always work out the way that I envision it. Having spent the last four months getting to know you all, I hope that this will not be the last time our paths cross. One thing that I will say is that if you are ever in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, or anywhere close, you are more than welcome I INSIST that you come and visit me in Cincinnati (This excludes residents of California... turn around and drive back west!!). 

I had the privilege of traveling with a lot of different people this semester, and it allowed me to get to know some of you on a really awesome level. One of my favorite memories would be the overnight trip to the Cinque Terre that we went on. That was an awesome long weekend and I enjoyed being able to hang out with you all during different times (special shout out to the early birds who hiked with me). Here are just a couple of my favorite pictures of all of us doing some fun things from this semester.

Hiking in Aosta
Skipping rocks, drinking a couple beers, and hanging out on the beach after hiking the Cinque Terre
Half of the boys and zero of the girls on our trip to Alba for the Truffle Festival
Brussels for an amazing excuse to get out of class for two days! (Delirium Bar in Brussels)
Ice skating with the Cowboy!!
This next song is in my opinion the song of this semester here in Italy. Not just because of how awesome the song is in general, the fact that we listened to it ALL the time, but also because of the lyrics.


Walking on a dream
How can I explain
Talking to myself
Will I see again
We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it
Always pushing up the hill
Searching for the thrill of it
On and on and on we are calling out and out again
Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me
Is it real now

I know that personally there were times when Dr. Nota was talking to us about how awesome it was that we studied abroad, and that we were in that 1% of students in the world, and how we should feel proud of what we were doing, and I would just play it off. This is mainly because I always thought studying abroad was just part of the "college experience", but as I sit here and think about the people that make up the 89 of us, I want to just say that although we have spent the last 4 months just loving life and living it for the thrill, don't stop just because you are going back to the states. The strong desired to be more than expected, stand out (in a good way), and still have a blast was what made you all unique. I want to encourage you all to continue to do this because this is exactly what has made this trip one to never forget.

Thank you all for being absolutely awesome and helping me enjoy my time here in Torino. Also, I would enjoy staying in contact with you all, so message me on Facebook, tweet at me when you feel like it, or skype me (nate.borowitz) if you are feeling like you miss my face!! I will miss you all and wish you the best! 
Ciao e grazie mille per tutto,
Nate

PS - To everyone from Chico - pester Emilio Dimingo until he creates a 1990 Villians shirt in Roman Numerals and has the word UFFA or ALLORA on the back of it, AND THEN SEND ME ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment