Saturday, December 31, 2011

Traveling With Friends

Yesterday Luke and Lucie arrived here in Rome, and we spent the whole day walking around. We saw 8 or 9 churches, the Vittorio Emanuele monument, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Capodolio (a square designed by Michelangelo), and walked around the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and much more of the city. It was really a great day. I was able to see two of my friends that I hadn't seen in four months, we were in Rome, and the weather was great.

At one point we were sitting on this ledge watching the sun was go down while just looking at the Colosseum and the Arch of Constantine and I truly realized what an amazing experience these next two weeks are going to be. I have spent the last four months living with Matt in Torino, and our relationship has grown drastically because of not only living together, but traveling as well. And here I am with my best friend, and another one of my very close friends, or as we joked last night "Lucie, don't get mad... you at least make the top 56 closest friends of ours", and I get to spend two weeks just traveling around Italy with them. I really am excited to show them around, let Luke tell us about churches as we are walking into them, thank you Rick Steves (However, there are some churches that don't get any triangles that we thought were some of our favorites!!), and enjoy the company of two people that are very close to me.

As today is starting (I am up writing this, and they are still trying to adjust to the time difference) and it is the last day of the year, I am making the promise to myself for this coming year not to have a stupid new years resolution of loosing weight, not eating fast food, or anything like that. Rather this year I am going to focus my time on spending it with the people I want, in the places I want, and for as long as I want, but appreciating it along the way. I think that sometimes people get used to things and forget the value of the things they have, but also the people around them, and this is something I don't ever want to do.

This study abroad experience has helped me to realize that time truly is the most valuable asset that we have as humans. And to not recognize that may be the biggest mistake you can make in life. I am not saying that this means go go go all of the time, because some of my best memories have been when I am sitting and relaxing and just talking with people, but rather use your time to your advantage and don't settle with something you don't want to do just because you want to be nice. Rather go out enjoy everyday, and do what you want to do, or at least this is what I am going to do!!

A few more of my photos from yesterday (you can see them all on my Facebook);

 


No comments:

Post a Comment